Terra relies on volunteers, financial and in-kind donations to offer services and support our teen parents.
At Terra, our specialized team tailors programs and services to meet the needs of each teen parent. Always safe, never judgemental. Learn more about what we have to offer our young families.
Mission: Empowering Teen Parents to Succeed
Vision: Teen Parent Families Thrive and Enrich our Community
Job ID: 24-004TERRA
Human Resources Coordinator
As a non-profit organization that has been serving pregnant and parenting teens in Edmonton for 50 years Terra is recognized for its leadership, innovation, and collaboration. Annually more than 1,000 young parents and their children benefit from a comprehensive range of services. Through the compassionate work of the staff, we help parents and children to develop and reach their full potential by recognizing and responding to their unique and individual needs. Terra staff are guided by the Code of Honour which supports, respects, and celebrates our families and staff (https://terracentre.ca/what-is-terra/careers/). If you share our values and support our mission and vision, please consider joining our team.
The Human Resources Coordinator is a full-time (35 hrs a week) position that provides efficient and effective support and is the first point of contact for a variety of HR functions. While reporting to Director Finance, this role oversees administrative human resources-related tasks, which could range from onboarding and offboarding, maintaining employee personnel files, and benefits administration.
The position will be working out of the Terra Main Office located at 10320 – 146 Street between the hours of 9:00 am – 4:30 pm from Monday – Friday. Please note this role is a fully in-office role.
• Coordinating and providing initial orientation and onboarding with new staff.
• Providing recruitment support to hiring managers.
• Providing employees with information about policies, job duties, working conditions, wages and employee benefits.
• Benefits Administration: enrollment in benefits to termination from benefits.
• Coordinating the offboarding process when employees go on leave or exit the agency.
• Managing employee personnel files.
• Tracking employee training and certificates, making sure the mandatory training has been taken on time by reminding employees.
• Assist in the identification of employee development/training needs and related resources.
• Keeping current with existing and proposed laws and regulations affecting HR practices including Employment Standards, WCB, AB Human Rights, Occupational Health and Safety, etc.
• Overseeing HR administrative functions at key location(s) and ensuring there is coordination and consistency across HR administrative functions in the agency.
• Ensuring that the agency is up to date with policies, and they are practiced consistently across the agency.
• Additional duties and responsibilities might be added depending on the capacity and skills of the person holding this position.
• Minimum of 2 years experience in the Human Resource field.
• Experience working in the charity/non-profit sector would be considered an asset.
• Post-Secondary Diploma or Degree in Human Resources or a related field. Preference will be given to candidates with or in the process of obtaining CPHR designation.
• Demonstrated excellence in building authentic supportive relationships.
• Demonstrated knowledge of MS Office and expertise with advanced functions in Word and Excel.
Knowledge and Abilities:
• Highly organized and detail-oriented with strong time management skills.
• Excellent communication skills, oral and written.
• Must possess a high level of professionalism, tact, and interpersonal skills to work with staff at all levels.
• Must be always committed to quality work and have a self-directed work ethic and demonstrate initiative when given additional assignments.
• A valid driver’s license and a reliable vehicle.
• Ability to work flexible hours.
• Clear Criminal Record Check and Child Intervention Check that is dated within 90 days of the start date.
Core Behavioral Competencies:
Terra values are core to the organization. We strive to hire individuals who possess these behavioural competencies at all levels of the organization.
• Personal Leadership: Practices inclusion, communicates openly and effectively, demonstrates self-awareness.
• Productive Relationships: Develops networks, collaborates, develops self and others.
• Results Focus: Applies outcomes-based problem-solving and systems thinking, demonstrates evidence-informed decision-making.
• Service Excellence: Practices innovation, facilitates a culture of learning, demonstrates continuous improvement.
• Program Planning; design, plan, coordinate, facilitation of groups.
• Finance; manage allocated financial resources for program delivery.
• Communication skills; excellent both written and oral; evidenced in grant writing and reporting to funders.
• Community Relations; well-developed engagement skills, strong networking.
Terra recognizes that it operates within a society and systems shaped by white supremacy and colonization and institutionalized discrimination and the exclusion, exploitation, and marginalization of Indigenous, Black, and people of color.
Terra strives to understand and be accountable for how white supremacy continues to impact its work at an organizational and systemic level and to address harm; implicit and explicit biases
Our intention is:
To build a foundation of awareness, knowledge, and skills to be an anti-racist organization. To respond to systemic racism that creates barriers and inequality in the workplace and in society. To be an organization that embeds the principles of equity and anti-oppression to everything it undertakes.
Our goal is to actively promote diversity, equity, and inclusion through an antiracism lens through policies processes and practices.
Compensation: The starting salary for the position is $50,705 – $65,720 (hourly $27.86-$36.11) a year depending on experience and expertise.
Upon completion of a probationary period, we offer a comprehensive, competitive, extended health benefits package including RRSP contribution. Staff have three weeks of vacation, and, in addition, the agency is closed between Christmas and New Years.
As a learning organization, Terra supports ongoing professional development among employees through formal training, informal mentoring, and personalized growth plans. Terra is continuing to grow our programming and there are anticipated opportunities for further professional growth within the agency.
Please email your résumé and cover letter to: Human Resources, email@example.com. Please include “24-004 Human Resources Coordinator” in the subject line of the email.
Closing Date: Open until a suitable candidate is found.
We're here to help.
Stay up-to-date with our latest news!
The Standards Program Trustmark is a mark of Imagine Canada used under license by Terra Centre for Teen Parents.